Wednesday, October 7, 2009

What no parent wants to hear

Last night Reagan and I had a conversation:

Reagan: I don't have any friends
Me: What are you talking about? You have lots of friends. Everyone likes you.
Reagan: Then why won't they play with me?

Ugh! Just crush me. Spear my heart and take it out with a fork. This was something I hoped I'd never have to hear. No parent wants to hear that their child is being picked on, doesn't belong, or doesn't have any friends.

This bothered me all night. I couldn't wait to get to school in the morning to talk to her teacher and see what was going on. She's only been at her school a few weeks but as far as I could tell she was transitioning just fine.

When I got to school I told her teacher what Reagan said. Her teacher almost laughed and said, "Reagan? Reagan clicked with everyone immediately. She's always playing with someone. She's got lots of friends here."

It turns out Reagan was just getting a little homesick for her old friends and was missing them. I feel bad that she misses her old friends, but drew a heavy sigh of relief that all is well in her new school.

Let's hope it is a very long time before we have that conversation again. In fact, how about never?

9 comments:

Deanna said...

I'm so glad you're posting again! How is Bailey? I can't believe how much she has grown! And poor Reagan. At least she is adjusting well...homesick for old friends means she had some strong bonds - a good thing.

LauraC said...

We get a lot of "lies" on stuff too. I can't imagine what they must tell the teachers about us.

Karla said...

Aw that must have made you one sad Momma (til you found out the truth!). Glad to hear the girls transitioned well to the new school.

Nice to see you blogging again! :)

Lara said...

Carlie is in 1st grade and she tells me the same thing every year. lol. I would be so worried about it but when I would go to her school last year for a Parent Night or anything like that, there would be tons of kids coming up to her and hugging her and telling her hi. As far as I could see, everyone liked her and she was friends with all of the kids. I worry sometimes that she doesn't have a best friend or a really close friend though.

Joanna said...

Oh, I hope to never need to have that conversation with Michael either. *shivers*

Anonymous said...

Zoey fibs about stuff all the time. But this post makes me sad. I hope I never have to go through this with my kids, but I have a feeling I will. :(

Karen said...

I always ask Michael things about school. I will sometimes prompt him to see if he is just repeating what I tell him or if that really happened. I hope that my kids are accepted for who they are.

Steph said...

I hope to never have to have that conversation with Cooper either. I know there are times he misses his friends from his daycare in Mass, but so far he's thankfully really enjoying his new preschool.

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

Oy. That is so tough! I hope she forges some strong friendships with her new friends.